Sunday, July 27, 2014

Teacher Tech

Whilst perusing the paper this morning, (let's be real, I was flipping through to find the crossword) I noticed a big headline on the Indy Star front page about ISTEP. Apparently, ISTEP is changing to include an online portion where kids have to use the computer to highlight text and do more "interactive" work. (It always confuses me when people call internet-based things "interactive" because 9 times out of 10, the computer is not reacting or interacting...the user is just inputting....)

Anyhow--I began to think about how the education world is shifting away from paper, colored pencils, and glue (sad face) and toward iPads, laptops, and technology.

During my freshman year, in a technology class I hated, I was assigned to create an ePortfolio. I never thought I would actually use it, but with the huge shift toward teacher technology, I thought it might be a good idea to keep it around. I did a little editing recently and added some of my more recent lesson plans and classroom materials.

What do you guys think? Is an ePortfolio silly and superfluous, or might it be a useful tool in this changing age of education?

- Ellen


PS, here's the link, in case you're intrigued: Click here!

2 comments: